Monday, January 19, 2015

Updates October/November, 2014

November 24
Hey Y'all

Life has been busy. I feel like I am sending the same stuff over and over again and this week I don't have anything new to say really. Um, This upcoming Saturday we get transfer news and I Really have no Idea what is going to happen. Usually I have some sort of idea but this time around I am really clueless. Anything can happen. Life in Harlan Kentucky is just pushing along and things are going well. Well, I feel super lame right now because I have nothing to say... Well there is one thing. This week has probably been the time of my mission where I've noticed the change in myself the most. I really took some time to reflect and I realized how much I really have changed. I do things now that I wouldn't do 10 months ago, I refrain from doing other things that were just a normal part of life back then, and my whole demeanor is different. I am still the same kid, just a better, different, yet still recognizable version of myself. It is cool to see. But it is always hard to see change within yourself, so I might have changed even more than I think I have. I really don't know. I guess we'll see in  a little while.

Saying:

"It was like water off a duck's back."
- Random

Bye,

Love, Elder Stark







November 17
Well Everyone,

This week has been rather odd. We did a lot of tracting in the cold and in the rain. It was nice. We met some really weird people. For example, we tracted into two gay, 60 yr old, men who let us in. It was super awkward, we knew they were gay before we even knocked on the door because they were flying a 'gay pride' flag on the front of their house. It was still a nice conversation though. One of them was an excommunicated catholic and spent the better part of an hour telling us all about what he disliked about the catholic church and how much he didn't like the pope or some of the policies. It was so funny. I learned a lot about Catholicism though it was really informative. We also shared about our church and answered some of his questions. His 'boyfriend' didn't say a lot. It was just an odd experience. And we laughed our heads off after the visit. It was great. Oh yeah, he also told us that we should be the "Reformers" of our church. That we should start being more accepting of everyone and that is how our church would grow. haha.

Saying:

"All that AND butter? Wow."
 - GlennEtta Martin

That's all for now. Bye

Love, Elder Stark


November 10
Well, my Birthday was this past Saturday and it was the weirdest birthday yet. mission b-days are kinda just there. I did make a cake and blow out some scented candles but it just wasn't the same.

Anyways, We had a great week. We are starting to find new people to teach and seeing the blessings that are coming through diligence. Tracting isn't always fun but sometimes it can be rewarding when you find people that are just good people. Through diligent work the lord blesses you with more opportunities than would be there otherwise. It is just cool to see examples in my personal life.

Also, We has to take the car into the shop to get the brakes fixed so we wouldn't die. So now the car drives a lot better. But now that I am in a car I car feel the fat that is in my near future. And it is terrifying.

Saying:

"When the Grits hit the fan."
- Bro. E. Jahn

BYE

Love,
Elder Stark




November 3
This week has been weird. We ran out of miles on our car so we walked a lot and rode our bikes a lot too. We're tracting a bunch still, and Halloween was legit. We got to party at the senior couple's house. We had an absolute blast. We are talking to a bunch of people with little receptiveness but we're gonna keep going. I don't have much to say this week. I'll say this though. Whom God calls he qualifies. I've seen it these past few weeks. There is no way I could do what I need to as just Elder Stark. It wouldn't work.

Saying:

"You want me to start Speaking in tongues?"
- Linda Wynn

This just made me laugh.

That's all

Love,
    Elder Dallen Stark




October 27
Well guys,

I'm in Harlan, Kentucky. One of the smallest if not the smallest branches in the mission. I am with Elder Langsmith, my MTC companion. And Halloween is this week. Even though missionaries can;'t do anything on halloween it is still cool. Being a District Leader isn't too bad. just a little more stress. um, that's it. I am going to have a lot of fun with my comp this transfer, I am super excited.

Saying:

“She’s as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.”
- Again random person

I have no idea where this one comes from but I liked it.

cool

Love, Elder Stark

...and a clip from a separate email:
Hey,

Well, Halloween is going to be odd. We got permission to go over to the senior couple's house and play on the wii and tell scary stories from the bible and the book of mormon. They are cool, their name is the Garretts. I'm in Harlan, Kentucky. Very small branch and pretty big area too. Being a district leader is alright so far. Not too tough except for the trainings that I have to prepare for district meeting every Thursday. other than that it in cool. The work is going to be hard here for a little bit while we get things going. But it will be good.... Well, I am out of things to say so I will call it good.
Love,

        Elder Dallen Stark




October 20
Well everyone, I am being transferred from Chat town. I have spent the last 3 months here and they have been great. Full of growing experiences and fun times. I have also been called as a District leader. I have no idea where I am going, who will be in my district, I don't even know what I'm doing at all. It is safe to say that I am freaking out and will need all the help I can get. I will need to rely more on the enabling power of the atonement now than ever and really put my trust in the Savior. I am excited for this opportunity and am really looking forward to growing from it. That is the bulk of what I wanted to talk about today.

Saying:

"He's about as useless as a screen door on a submarine."
-Random person

Well, that's all I've got for you this week. I'll let you all know where I'm at next monday

Love,

 Elder Stark

No comments:

Post a Comment